There are a number of simple steps that could save your life in the event of a fire:
- Make sure you have at least one smoke alarm fitted and that it is working. If you do not have one or it is not working, contact us on 0800 916 1424 and we will arrange to fit one free of charge.
- Check your smoke alarm regularly - at least once a week - and keep a set of spare batteries in the house.
- Avoid overloading electrical sockets.
- Plan an escape route, keep the route and exit clear and make sure everyone in your house knows how to escape in the event of a fire.
- Ensure that windows can be opened in the event of an emergency.
- Make sure you put cigarettes out properly.
- Check that your upholstered furniture is fire-resistant.
- Take extra care in the kitchen. Never leave chip pans unattended and turn the heat off or down if you’re called away from the cooker, e.g. by a phone call.
- Keep your cooker clear of flammable objects.
- Never leave young children alone in the kitchen.
- Make sure candles are in secure holders and away from materials that could burn; never leave a burning candle in an empty room.
- Close all doors and unplug all electrical appliances when going to bed at night.
To order a smoke detector call: 0800 916 1424 or you can email us at email@example.com