Around the house
There are things that you can do to help keep your home safe from fire:
- Be careful with candles and tea lights. Avoid placing them on or near materials that could burn or catch fire – like curtains.
- Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
- Hair straighteners get extremely hot. Always switch them off and leave them to cool on a heatproof surface.
- Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
- Never smoke in bed. Don’t smoke in an armchair or sofa if you think you may fall asleep. Take extra care when you’re tired, taking prescription drugs or if you’ve been drinking alcohol.
- Never use a barbeque, including a disposable one, on a balcony.
- Manufacturers sometimes recall products for safety issues. Keep up to date for product safety and recall notices. Check online for Product recall updates. Register your electrical products and appliances for safety updates. You can register your appliances directly with the manufacturer or the Register My Appliance website.
- Check to make sure that your furniture has the fire-resistant permanent label.
- Familiarise yourself with the symbols below, which show that your appliances and furnishings are safe: