Before you go to bed and before you leave your home, there are a few routine things you can do to reduce the risk of fire in your home:
- Make sure the cooker is turned off and the kitchen door shut.
- Switch off any portable heaters.
- Don’t leave mobile phones, tablets or e-cigarettes charging overnight.
- Switch off and unplug all electrical appliances except those that are meant to stay on, like a fridge. Don’t go to sleep with the washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher on.
- Stub out all cigarettes and always empty ashtrays having ensured contents are completely extinguished.
- Close all internal doors – it can keep your escape route free from smoke and may stop a fire spreading.
- Unplug blankets before you get into bed, unless it has a thermostat control for safe all-night use. Never use an electric blanket and hot water bottle together.