.

Home » Information for residents » Your home » Fire Safety » Electrical items

Electrical items

Faulty electrics (appliances, wiring and overloaded sockets) cause around 6,000 fires in the home across the country every year. You can reduce the risk of an electrical fire in your home by following some basic precautions:

  • Let us know immediately if you are concerned about the electrics in your property. Keep your eyes peeled for signs of dangerous or loose wiring such as scorch marks, hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow or circuit-breakers that trip for no obvious reason, or flickering lights.
  • An extension lead or adaptor will have a limit to how many amps it can take, most are 13 amps, so be careful not to overload them to reduce the risk of fire.

Diagram showing electrical limits for a plug socket.

  • Be particularly aware of electrical appliances that generate a lot of heat, these will need to be plugged into a socket by themselves, for example, a hairdryer or an iron.
  • Cable drum extension leads should be completely unwound to avoid overheating.
  • Always use the charger that came with your phone, tablet, e-cigarette or mobile device or a genuine replacement. Counterfeit electrical chargers can be deadly, and many fail to meet UK safety regulations leading to fires and injury.

 

Close

Advice on COVID-19 (coronavirus)

The health and safety of our residents, their families and our staff is our number one priority.

In response to Government guidelines following the COVID-19 outbreak, we have made some changes to how we provide services to our customers. More information about our response can be found on our dedicated webpage and via our social media channels.

We are monitoring Government advice around local lockdowns and will highlight any specific service changes for each area should they arise.

Read our notice