.

Fire Safety

As your landlord, we must ensure your home meets all relevant fire safety standards.

For example, by law, we must carry out an annual service and safety check of all Sanctuary gas appliances in your home, this includes boilers, cookers and fires. You can find out more information about Gas Safety in our Gas Safety leaflet (PDF 286KB).

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use; it’s only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous.

When CO enters the body, it prevents oxygen from travelling around your system and without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die. High levels of CO poisoning will kill quickly.

Spotting the signs

Symptoms caused by a CO leak may include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness. Some other signs are only experiencing symptoms when you’re at home which gets better when you are out of the house. Other members of your family, visitors or pets may also feel the same.

Checking for a leak

Look for signs of staining, soot or discolouration on or around your gas boiler, fire and water heater. Check pilot lights and other gas flames that normally burn blue. If the flame changes to yellow or orange, it could mean that CO is present.

If you suspect a leak

Get fresh air immediately – open your windows and doors, turn off all appliances and go outside. If you feel unwell, visit your doctor or if you suspect CO poisoning, call an ambulance or go straight to the hospital. They can do a simple blood test to check for carbon monoxide.

You should also call us as soon as possible on 0800 131 3348 (0300 123 3511 from a mobile). If you have concerns about any of the services in your home, we are here to help.

What part do you play?

Your responsibility is to ensure you are aware of the fire hazards in your home and work to reduce the risk of fire. Most fires can be prevented by taking some basic precautions.

 

For more information or if you have a question about fire safety, please contact your Housing Officer, call us on 0800 131 3348 (0300 123 3511 from a mobile) or visit the government’s Fire Kills website.