Home » Find a home » Moving in » Home insurance

Home Insurance

Sanctuary Housing does not insure the contents of your home or your personal possessions. We, along with the National Housing Federation urge you to arrange home contents insurance for this reason. 

There are two types of insurance that should be considered in relation to your home:

1. Buildings insurance

We insure your buildings against damage. This insurance covers the building structure and items such as your kitchen and bathroom. It does not cover any of your personal belongings.

2. Contents insurance

Contents insurance protects all the items within your home not covered by the buildings insurance policy. Items generally covered by contents insurance includes; carpets or floor coverings, furniture, curtains, clothing, kitchen appliances and other valuables. The purchase of contents insurance is optional but advisable.

My Home Contents Insurance Scheme

Sanctuary Housing is able to offer all our residents and leaseholders a chance to insure their contents and personal possessions in an easy and affordable way through the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme. My Home could provide peace of mind, knowing that your home contents and belongings are covered from fire, theft, storm, burst pipes, flood and other risks.

10 Reasons to choose My Home Contents Insurance Scheme (PDF 139KB)

Further information

Application packs are available which include premiums and payment methods. Call My Home today on 0345 450 7288 or visit the My Home Website (this link will open in a new window)


Advice on COVID-19 (coronavirus)

The health and safety of our residents, their families and our staff is our number one priority.

In response to Government guidelines following the COVID-19 outbreak, we reviewed the services we provide to our customers and made some changes. More information about our response can be found on our dedicated webpage. We hope you understand why we have had to make these decisions.

We will continue to monitor the situation daily and keep you updated of any changes via this website and our social media channels.

Read our notice