.

In the kitchen

Many accidental fires at home are started by cooking - often when cookers and grills are left unattended. 

A few simple precautions will help reduce the risk.

  • Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
  • Use a spark device to light a gas cooker. They are safer than matches or lighters because they don’t have a naked flame.
  • Take extra care if you need to leave the kitchen while cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down.
  • Double-check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.
  • Avoid cooking when under the influence of alcohol or prescription drugs.
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
  • If a pan catches fire, don’t tackle the fire yourself and don’t attempt to move the pan. Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over a fire as it could create a fireball. Leave the room, close the door, shout a warning to others and call the fire brigade by dialling 999.
  • Take extra care when cooking with hot oil as it can easily overheat and catch fire. Never fill a pan more than one-third full of fat or oil. Make sure food is dry before putting in hot oil. If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Use an electronic deep fat fryer if possible – they have automatic temperature controls.

 

Close

Advice on COVID-19 (coronavirus)

The health and safety of our residents, their families and our staff is our number one priority.

We are continually monitoring how we provide services to our customers during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, including the resumption of routine repairs. More information about our services can be found on our Covid-19 page and on our social media channels. Please see our latest health and safety guidance.

Read our notice