If you decide that you would like to move out of your Sanctuary property, you must end your tenancy in writing at least 28 days before you plan to move out.
If you give us less than 28 days’ notice or leave the property without telling us, you will be liable for a minimum of four weeks rent to cover the notice period. Some tenancies do require you to give a longer notice period than 28 days, which will be shown on your tenancy agreement.
You can end your tenancy on any day of the month, in agreement with your Housing Officer.
You must not leave anyone living in the property when you end your tenancy unless we have already agreed to this and transferred the tenancy over to someone else.
Moving out checklist
When you move out of one of our properties, there are a few things to remember:
- Give us written notice, at least 28 days in advance (or longer if your tenancy agreement states it)
- Pay any outstanding rent and other charges you may owe
- Read your meters before you leave
- Turn off the water, gas and electricity
- If you have a landline, have the phone line disconnected
- Let us know your forwarding address and a contact telephone number
- Remove furniture, rubbish and personal items from the property, cellar, attic and shed (if you have one)
- Wipe down cupboards and drawers, inside and out
- Clean the bath, shower, toilet and sinks
- Wipe all paintwork, doors and door frames
- If you have a private garden, leave it in a manageable condition
- Return all the keys to us associated with the property.