It only takes one accident for a fire to start in your home. Last year, 248 people lost their lives due to a fire, many of which could have been prevented.
We don’t always think about them, but everyday, well-known fire risks are present in our homes such as candles and cooking left unattended, covered electrical heaters, overloaded plugs, and cigarettes.
Test your smoke alarms
You’re also seven times more likely to die in a fire in your home if your smoke alarms aren’t working properly, so you should test them once a month. If any of your alarms have a one year battery, make sure it’s changed every year. Only take the battery out when you need to replace it.
Here are a few ways to keep you and your family, friends and neighbours safe:
- test your smoke alarms monthly – and make sure you can hear them throughout your home
- offer to test the smoke alarms of an older family member, neighbour or friend who needs help
- plan and practise how you’d escape in a fire and have a plan B
- most accidental fires start in the kitchen, so take care and never leave cooking unattended
- don’t overload plug sockets and adapters – watch out for loose wiring, scorch marks, and hot plugs and sockets
- keep heaters clear from curtains and furniture and never use them to dry clothes
- stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully.
For more information about fire safety, visit the fire kills campaign website.
If you are worried about an issue relating to fire safety in your home or communal areas, you should contact your housing officer or scheme manager. You can also call us on 0800 131 3348 (landline) or 0300 123 3511 (mobile) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.