Homes for Cathy, a national alliance of housing associations committed to ending homelessness, has worked in partnership with the charity Crisis to produce the nine commitments.
The nine commitments have been developed in consultation with the members of Homes for Cathy and they give housing associations a tool to use when developing policies and practices.
The Homes for Cathy commitments are:
- To contribute to the development and execution of local authority homelessness strategies
- To operate flexible allocations and eligibility polices which allow individual applicants’ unique sets of circumstances and housing histories to be considered
- To offer constructive solutions to applicants who aren’t deemed eligible for an offer of a home
- To not make homeless any tenant seeking to prevent their homelessness (as defined in the Crisis plan)
- To commit to meeting the needs of vulnerable tenant groups
- To work in partnership to provide a range of affordable housing options which meet the needs of all homeless people in their local communities
- To ensure that properties offered to homeless people are ready to move into
- To contribute to ending migrant homelessness in the areas housing associations operate
- To lobby, challenge and inspire others to support ending homelessness
Sanctuary provides a wide range of support for adults who have experienced or are at risk of homelessness through its supported living services.
This is achieved in a number of ways, including supported housing, preventative outreach work, resettlement support and floating support services.
Simon Clark, Sanctuary Group Director – Housing, commented: “By joining Homes for Cathy we have already shown a readiness to do more to end homelessness and the nine commitments provide a guide on where to focus our attention.
“We believe that no one should be homeless and we are proud to work with our partners in local authorities to reduce homelessness.”
Housing associations can sign up to the Homes for Cathy commitments by visiting homesforcathy.org.uk/our-commitments/sign-up-to-the-commitments/